I forgot about it…I have visited La Demeure du Chaos a long time ago and even if I have been shocked, overwhelmed with the place, I forgot that you can visit it quite easily, that you really should visit it and that it is for free. But I guess, even if we need to pay to enter, it is worth it! Why? Well, let me tell you why you should visit La Demeure du Chaos, what it is actually and when you should go…
So what is it actually the Demeure du Chaos? Top 10 Facts You might Know or Not About the Demeure du Chaos:
It is a real museum of the modern art.
It is also known as Musee L’Organe.
It has the most FB fans and social media engagement from all the Lyonnais museums and events! Check here and be blown out by the real stats and it’s popularity!
The founder – Thierry Ehrmann (born 1962), born in Avignon, moved to Lyon where actually, he still works from his house which has been transformed into the artwork Abode of Chaos. Actually, all his colleagues work in this place with him!
The artwork of the Demeure du Chaos is based around the transformation of the 17th-century post house into a replica (post-)war zone
It is an open-air art with its 3,609 works, reflecting our tragic or magnificent century as seen by the artist.
You will see there also Paul Bocuse, Pope, and Jesus. Why? I still don’t know!
According to the mayor of Saint-Romain-au-Mont-d’Or, it’s humanly intolerable, ugly, dramatic, with its images of destruction. The mayor admitted that the Demeure du Chaos is not art for him but a provocation. According to the New York Times it is “one of the most important and most emotional artistic adventures of the 21st century”. …everyone has a right to their own opinions! What’s yours?
It has been the subject of several lawsuits, and – in 2009 – France’s highest court, the Cour de Cassation, ruled that Ehrmann would have to revert his home to its pre-Abode of Chaos state. Obviously, he hasn’t done it s he has been paying a daily fine of €750. Again in 2014 his case has been revised
BONUS: a small video to understand the concept better is here
Why should you visit La Demeure du Chaos?
- Because it is something you have never seen before in your life.
- Because it is modern art as much as you like the modern art. I don’t like it so much but I respect the efforts, work of the artists and creators.
- Because it’s just 10 mins away from Lyon.
- Because it seems like a good idea for a cultural afternoon and thing to do in Lyon for FREE.
- Because it’s totally for FREE and you get the FREE booklet with all the information.
- Because it’s located in a really beautiful Lyonnais village – Saint-Romain-au-Mont-d’Or; in the heart of the Monts d’Or, a wealthy suburb of Lyons.
- Because it has a lot to see. It has over 2500 works displayed from many different artists, including the owner Thierry Ehrmann. All in one place and easily accessible.
When should you visit Demeure du Chaos?
Only during weekends, only afternoons and only in Lyon! Being more precise, go there: 17 Rue de la République, 69270 Saint-Romain-au-Mont-d’Or and you will not pay! I promise it’s FREE to enter.
So I am not sure if you have already had a chance to visit La Demeure du Chaos, if you have ever heard about it. And if NOT, then don’t waste time, get reading and going! Please let me know what do you think about La Demeure du Chaos: have you already visited it, are you planning to go or if you are totally put off going. Because I guess some people firmly and strongly will refuse to go! And I can understand it! Thank you!