Discover the Top 13 things you can do with a baby in Lyon…baby, not a kid yet as this is a huge difference.
Since I live in Lyon and I have a great passion for France and Lyon, since I have already been exploring this beautiful city and because I have become a new parent, a real Mum in Lyon, I thought I have the responsibility to write about things to do in Lyon with a baby.
As obvious and as easy as it sounds, finding things to do in Lyon with a baby below 1 year, with a toddler who feels very comfortable and secured in a pushchair, is not that easy. There are many interesting things to do with kids in Lyon, but they are not at all relevant to the small baby in a pushchair.
However, I want to think I managed. I have created a list of the top 13 things to do in Lyon with a baby. Please check out below, use if you are visiting Lyon with a baby, and especially add other ideas I didn’t include. Thank you in advance.
1.Visit any lyonnaise park and especially don’t miss out on Le Parc de la Tête d’Or with a baby. This is a great place for babies, kids, and parents. It has unlimited opportunities and ideas to have fun. It’s less a park where you can relax as it’s very popular and there are always a lot of people but it’s also very big. There is a free zoo, a botanic garden, rosaries, picnic spots, a lake, a little funfair for kids, Guignol Theater, a little train, many playgrounds.. etc, etc..
2. Spoil your baby with the massage at Bout d’Amour – Massage bébé. I, personally, prefer to give a short massage after the bath to my baby myself. This is our special moment together. But I don’t think it’s as professional and efficient as the one done by a specialist. So it’s worth offering it to your baby.
3. Go for a fish. I am not sure if this is only my baby but she loves fishes: the fish toys, books about fishes and the fishes in baby food too. So we took her to the Aquarium de Lyon. It’s a great place for kids but also for babies. As the babies are able to interact with exotic sea specimens, they can admire different colors and shapes of fish and approach them closely. Lastly, the babies will enjoy touching the glass windows and you will enjoy the fact that it’s not your window which you would need to clean later. Anyways, Lyon’s aquarium is an excellent place to spend a few hours with the baby and kids.
4. Say hello to the donkey, caress the little piglet at the pedagogical farm near Lyon: Au pré de Justin, 69390 Charly. I have been there with the 10 months old baby and I can highly recommend this place. It’s ideal for babies but in baby carries not in the pushchairs and kids all ages.
5. Take your baby for a coffee to the babies and kids friendly cafés in Lyon like for example Minus et Compagnie. It is so-called ‘salon de thé’ and it’s a place welcoming babies and kids any ages with parents. A place where kids have fun and parents can have a relaxing moment. There are other babies and kids friendly cafés in Lyon. I want to check them all as I like the coffee… So I’ll be exploring the topic and so if you have other recommendations please let me know. I heard also about Les Mamans Poules. It is a wonderful “café poussette”, or child-friendly café, for parents and little ones to play, relax and socialize together. Founded by two mums who wanted to offer a welcoming place for urban parents, the cafe includes a nursery space and a small boutique with a perfect mother and baby gift ideas. They host engaging events and workshops for parents and various child-friendly activities and classes too. Stay up to date on FB page Les Mamans Poules.
6. Consider going to the leisure parks with a baby in Lyon and around Lyon. Check out well which ones are adapted to the babies. There are plenty of leisure parks in Lyon and around Lyon. For some you may have to wait when your baby grows up, some you can already enjoy with a baby. I founded Happy City, near Lyon in Villefranche sur Saône. It is one of the biggest covered parks in Rhône-Alpes with about 2000m2 space for kids from 1 year old. Fun Island is a covered play center for children up to 14 years old. This family-friendly leisure space provides excellent entertainment for children and relaxing space for parents. There is a dedicated space for babies and toddlers up to the age of 3, with slides, a ball pit, and other tactile activities to help little ones develop key movement skills and autonomy. There is also a snack bar and a “Creperie” restaurant open every Friday evening from 7.30 pm to 11 pm.
7. Start art activity with your baby. Take your baby for real painting classes in Lyon, already available and adapted for babies. There is Atelier Bout d’Terre, the workshop which offers courses in modeling, mosaic, painting for all ages, all levels. Another “baby painting workshop” in Lyon is run by Le Laboratoire. This place is really cool as it offers a fun and original activity suitable for your child from 8 months: it lasts 1 hour 30 minutes. And the best thing… the bath is included. Les Enfants du Tarmac, is a more complex center for babies and kids. It offers both painting and music classes for the little ones. This center offers many creative activities where babies and children immerse themselves in creativity, emotional awakening, self-esteem, and well-being.
8. Go to the cinema with a baby in Lyon! As strange as it sounds, this is truly possible to take a baby for a movie to the cinema in Lyon. UCG Ciné Cité de la Cité Internationale organizes “Young parents” sessions with babies up to 10 months old. The sound volume is adapted to the baby, there are the changing tables, everything has been designed to accommodate parents.
9. Obligatory! Essential! Ideal for a baby activity in Lyon is obviously swimming pool class. Several swimming pools in Lyon and the surrounding area offer baby swimming lessons. You can either sign up for regular classes or visit the swimming pool adapted for babies whenever you want. However, remember to check the schedules on the site as it is closed when there are competitions.
- Centre aquatique les Vagues, in Meyzieu. This aquatic center offers multiple activities accessible from the age of 6 months.
- Centre aquatique Aquavert, located in Francheville, offers the swimming activities for the babies 5 months plus.
- Any other Lyonnais swimming pool will welcome babies with parents
10. Make even more noise with your baby in Lyon. Musical awakening is a new trend of super cool activity you can do with a baby in Lyon. All babies love music. They like to listen to music and different sounds but also they start making more different noises and movements every day. Encourage their development. Sign up your baby for a music class in Lyon. There are many music sessions for babies in Lyon. You can choose from
- Musical classes for a baby in Lyon with Valérie de Ludi’zique. They offer interesting activities where your babies can discover African instruments. The sound garden is 10 sessions per year on Monday or Friday for children up to 3 years old.
- Another musical class for a baby in Lyon is offered by la Ka’Fête ô Mômes in Croix-Rousse
- l’IMMAL, is an ideal musical center for babies in Lyon already from 3 months old until 12 years old.
- Another ideal and perfectly designed for babies’ musical center in Lyon is Comptines et tambourins.Association Musicale Crescendo is a center in Lyon which has been running instrument lessons and music classes for over a decade. They offer classes at home and around the city. Most musical instruments are learned from around age 6, but after many requests from families for musical workshops for very young children, the AMC has created musical workshops for little babies from 1 to 5 years old and “Mini Jardin” singing and music workshops for new parents and babies, from the beginning of pregnancy to the child’s first birthday.
- Another super adopted and specially designed for babies in Lyon activities are offered by Do Ré Mi – the first “Music Together” center in Lyon, offering music and movement classes for parents and children from birth to 5 years old.
- Douce voix is a specific musical center that offers classes already before the birth of the baby and up to 6 months. Emmanuelle Ibanez, musician, and mother trained in prenatal singing, helps women prepare for the birth of their child. The voice, an emotional container, allows you to become aware of your body, to listen to yourself and your baby. It sounds like a unique experience to have.
- Lastly but most importantly, the very professional musical and sound awakening workshops for babies from 3 months old are happening in The Lyon Auditorium.
11. Dance with a baby in Lyon. I love dancing, I am doing it for free at home but I would appreciate a few tips on how I should be doing it with a baby proposed by a dance coach in Lyon. So if you, yourself need some dancing inspiration activities for a baby, check out this place in Lyon, in Villeurbanne exactly called Danse avec bébé.
12. Do some sport with a baby in Lyon. There are many interesting gymnastics activities in Lyon for a baby. I’m not a super sportive person myself but I think that a gentle sports activity can make your baby happy and well tired. I mean good tiredness for a baby means a good night’s sleep for you. Here are a few sports centers who organize gymnastics activities for a baby in Lyon
- Les Lucioles de Lyon offers gymnastics from 15 months old babies, teenagers and adults
- Lyon GR offers rhythmic and acrobatic gymnastics for 15 months old babies, teenagers, adults
- Convention Gymnique de Lyon offers a baby gym for babies in Lyon from 1 year old, for teenagers, adults
- Elan Gymnique de Lyon offers a baby-gym, circus gym, artistic and rhythmic gym, and even modern jazz, for every age group starting from babies 12 months old
- Gym Lyon Métropole: Lyon Gym and Chassieu Gym, united in a single association, offer on their two sites a wide range of gymnastic activities adapted from an early age starting for the babies from 12 months old. Those sports centers offer a leisure or competitive approach for the most motivated and the provision of courses adapted to children said to be different and suffering from autism.
- Les bambins à ressortis is a good choice for a center for a baby from 8 months until 2 years accompanied by a parent and for a child 2-5 years able to play alone. This place offers the multicolored carpets, trampolines, minibars, stilts, hoops, balls… the babies and kids can roll, climb, jump, and overturn in a safe environment. The youngest can really benefit from adapted educational programs, sports, and fun for their psychomotor awakening!
13. Practice yoga with a baby in Lyon. I have never tried it as I am not a yoga person however I heard that Lyon offers a lot of opportunities to practice prenatal and postnatal yoga with your baby. You can try Yoga Owl for the pre- and postnatal yoga in Lyon with a baby. I have also heard about Yogama, where you can practice yoga from the first months of pregnancy in Lyon, Aurélie Caudullo helps you to gently engage your body throughout your pregnancy and after.
L’écharpe enchantée (Mark Alexander School in Lyon) is a specific center which helps to speed up the communication process of your baby. The classes are dedicated to toddlers from 4-6 months. Thanks to stories, rhymes, and games, the baby learns sign language! Little by little, the babies acquire more than a hundred signs and can communicate earlier.
Was this list of top 13 things to do with the baby in Lyon useful? Did I forget about something? I’m sure there are other interesting things to do in Lyon with a baby below 1 year, with a toddler in a pushchair we can include. Please add…