What shall we be doing in Lyon in Winter?
Does it sound like another so popular topic everyone is writing about? And as boring as it sounds, I hope it won’t be because I have learned and I want to share with you the fact that Lyon is an amazing place to be and visit anytime during the whole year. So it’s obviously beautiful during summer, there are unmissable things to do in Lyon during autumn, and actually, Lyon is pretty packed with so many events and festivals to take part in every month as you can see here. But now I want to tell you why Lyon is so special place to be and visit during winter. And I have to be honest with you, there might be a problem when you are in Lyon in winter. It’s called TIME, more precisely speaking the lack of time 😉. Because it seems that Lyon offers so much that we can struggle with having enough time to do all. So I hope i can help. Because I am choosing for you only the Top 10 Best Things to Do in Lyon in Winter. If you know others please add in the comments below. Thanks!
- Obligatory – Fête des Lumières. And I could write an essay here about the best event I have ever taken part in. I remember my first Festival of Lights in Lyon I was cosy at home, it was getting dark and cold and the last thing I wanted to do is to go out to watch some lights. ..someone made me go and from that moment I am the first and ready to participate each year. I couldn’t recommend it more!!!
- Shop at the Lyonnais Christmas markets. There’s a very famous one which you cannot miss. It is up the whole December at the Place Carnot and it’s the best way to get into a real Christmassy atmosphere. You will find here Christmas gifts, decorations and so many yummy Christmas specialties, sweets, hot wine etc. Check for more details here and stay updated here .
- Visit the best Christmas Markets in France. It is an unmissable experience to have during winter! Direction: Alsace! And in Alsace, I would recommend the very best one which you will find in Strasbourg. It’s the oldest and largest Christmas market in France. Starting on November 29 and lasting up to December 24. Go if you have an opportunity. The other biggest Christmas markets in France are: Lille, Rennes and even Monaco. But I wouldn’t go that far. If you need some inspirations, I found a great website which is totally dedicated to Christmas markets all over the France and Europe! It’s brilliant, check it here.
- Practice skiing in the Alps. I never write enough about skiing as this is not really my thing but I know people love winter sports and I tend to forget that Lyon is next to the Alps and therefore it is so convenient for skiing. You can get there easily by car, by coach, by train or with Skimania which will organize everything for you and on a budget reasonable (affordable and fun). As I said I don’t know anything about skiing so I would prefer to refer you to one of the specialists who present you here Top 10 Closest to Lyon Skiing stations. Bonus – the article tells you how to get there and how much that will cost you! Very useful!
- Get a book, hot chocolate and very cosy socks. Here I have more experience really ;-). I won’t be recommending any book as we all have our likes. Some of us tend to get cosy with a magazine or movie rather than a book and that is a very good idea as well. But for socks! Get some really cosy and colorful ones! I have already got my winter collection. Hot chocolate you can get almost anywhere, easily at Carrefour, Auchan, Casino and if you cannot be bothered to go out but want the best quality hot chocolate in France, you can get it from Celaya brand here. They call it ‘mange bien = eat well’ so it’s good for your health! I am loyal to Lyon and my very favorite one comes from SEVE. Check here and don’t resist the pleasure!
- Escape to the hot and sunny place. You can find cheap flights easily, there are many destinations available at the Lyon airport and you can get inspired here. Another option is that you can go to the local spa and get your sauna, hammam experience. I have tried Caliceo and liked it! Whatever you choose, stay warm!
- Get creative. Enjoy the Christmas & winter smells and decorations. Get creative doing your own Christmas cards, decorate your home and surround yourself with everything spiced ginger & apples oriented. I know some people can’t stand it but i love the spiced apple candles, tea and limited edition bodybutter from BodyShop And I like making my own Christmas cards.
- Enjoy heart warming meals in the French cuisine. Bake gingerbread cookies – in Poland we call them pierniki. Create your own Gingerbread Man or Gingerbread House! Try everything ginger! Because ginger is so good for you. It doesn’t only help the body stay warm, but it also helps boost the immune and digestive systems.
- Do the last minute Christmas shopping. I wouldn’t recommend online shopping this time as you can struggle with getting it delivered on time. But my suggestions would be La Part Dieu and Marche de Noel in Lyon as well as Rue de Republique and Confluence Shopping Centre .
- Last but not least, actually the most important. …celebrate Christmas! And this is how you do it French way, Polish way and multicultural way! What is your way of celebrating Christmas?
So did you find something interesting for yourself? What is your favorite thing to do in winter from anywhere in the world and maybe even from France and Lyon. I would love to hear your likes. Have a happy, cosy, warm, exciting, creative, calm, relaxing winter and especially CHRISTMAS!