My List of 30 Most Popular French Slang Words. Learn Something New Each Day!
This is very exciting! Finding out many French words which you will never be taught at school and which are used by French on a daily basis. This is very interesting and got me into the project of exploring the area of French Slang Words.
So far I have discovered some and then I have searched for more and therefore I have created a long list of Top 110 Slang Vocabulary which you can get here for free. And today let me share with you the those the 30 Most Popular French Slang Words.
Have you heard about others? Please let me know asap so I can impress my French friends and most importantly…understand them!!!
- Archi bon: really good
- Attaquer: start doing an activity and especially some work
- Baiser: kiss but also fuck; have sex with, quite vulgar
- Barge or Barjot: nuts, totally crazy, braque: crazy
- BCBG (bien chic bon genre): preppy
- BG (beau gosse) means hot guy
- Bijou (m): pet, love
- Blaireau (m): loser; nerd
- Bobo: baby talk for an injury is used by French young people when referring to minor injuries such as cuts and bruise
- Boîte (f): club; probably because everyone is squeezed into the club like in ‘une boite à sardines’
- Bolosse (m/f): a loser, débile: stupid
- Bombe(f): sexually appealing woman; hot woman
- Bordel(m): (brothel) is used to describe a large mess; bordélique: messy, disorganized
- Boudin(m): ugly and fat woman
- Ça craint! is used to say that something sucks
- Casse l’ambiance: mood breaker
- Chiant: boring, really annoying
- Dalle / J’ai la dalle: dalle is an alternative way to say ‘nothing’; in French. While « J’ai la dalle. » means you are hungry.
- Etre vénère means that you are annoyed or angry
- Flic / Les Poulets (pl) both essentially mean ‘cops’; in French. But poulet is more abusive. It’s almost like using the word ‘pig’; in English.
- Flipper: freak out. Ça me fait flipper: it freaks me out
- Kiffer is used to express that you like something (for example hobby!). But be careful as if you kiffe quelqu’un, it means that you desire that person.
- Mec(m) refers to boyfriends as well as guys in general
- Meuf(f) refers mainly to a female, or your girlfriend
- Oh bah dis donc: oh well
- Sans déconner: no kidding
- Super nul: really sucks
- Truc de Ouf(m) is used to express that something is crazy.
- Vite Fait means to do it quickly or without hesitation.
So did you know any of those Top 30 French Slang Words? Did you learn sth new today?
I hope so! I hope you can now easily take part in the conversation with the French and feel confident to understand their casual chats….very useful during parties, drinks, coffee breaks…isn’t it? Let me know about other French Slang Words you came across. Thanks in advance!